- SpaceVision poster session abstracts due tomorrow, Oct. 1st
- SEDS SpaceVision travel scholarship essays also due tomorrow, Oct. 1st
- Today is the last day to submit your name to fly to Bennu and back with OSIRIS-REx.
- It’s also the last day to submit tweets and instagram pics to possibly fly in the OSIRIS-REx time capsule. #AsteroidMission
- Keep these dates in mind. We will need volunteers for outreach events. We will ask for volunteers to sign up a couple weeks in advance of each event. Oct. 23, Oct 25, Nov. 14, Nov. 20
- ASCEND—We need more people to submit applications. Please fill out an application if you are interested. It’s just basic information.
- NASA Reduced Gravity Student Flight Opportunity Program—It turns out the microgravity program is not cancelled. Let Eric know if you are interested in participating. You can watch a video of the flight of the team from 2 years ago.
- We could use some other project ideas. Be on the lookout.
- Flagstaff Trip—If you are going on the Flagstaff trip, please note:
- You must bring a sleeping bag, and you’ll want a pillow too.
- In addition to a sleeping bag and pillow, don’t bring luggage much bigger than backpack-sized.
- You must bring warm clothes to sleep in. It will be in the low 40°Fs at night. That sounds really cold, but it will be fine as long as you are prepared.
- Meet in the loading dock outside the office at 7:30 AM, Saturday morning.
- Michael is sending out a detailed itinerary. Check your email. Reply with any questions or concerns.
- Flandrau Club Visit—We will definitely be going on the 21st of Oct. That’s a Tuesday. We will be going during our regular meeting time.
- There will be an opportunity for SEDS and Space Grant students to meet NASA JPL’s Chief Technology Officer later this month. An email was forwarded by Carmen on the 30th. Please find this email for more details and a link to RSVP.
- Watch a special about the Canadian Space Program live on YouTube tomorrow, 4:30 PM. Bill Nye and CSA astronaut Jeremy Hanson will be there.
- Events Coming Up
- Astronomy Club’s monthly Sabino Canyon Star Party is this Saturday. The Astronomy Club will be out at Sabino Canyon with telescopes. If you’d need a ride, you might be able to get one. Email Carmen to inquire.
- World Space Week is almost upon us—Oct. 4-10. We will be having a Big Bang Theory marathon/movie night on Friday the 10th. We take some telescopes out at the beginning of the night, if we can find a good spot for them in the midst of family weekend.
- LPL’s Art of Planetary Science is Oct. 17-19
- Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo will be Nov. 1-2
- Shirts ordering is imminent. They cost $15. You can pay now or when you receive the shirt. Pay our treasurer Ryan, as usual.
- We will have an election for UASEDS Outreach Coordinator next Tuesday at the beginning of the regular meeting. All dues paying members are eligible to vote and run for office. If you are running for the position, or cannot attend the meeting but still want to vote, please see the email from Carmen, sent out on the 30th, for more election details.
Chat with UASEDS Alumnus, Optical Hardware Engineer, Amber Luttmann
Unfortunately, Amber had to go to the emergency dentist, and was unable to meet with us. We hope her tooth feels better soon, and that we will be able to reschedule.